Monday 7 December 2009

"It would be funny it is was not so bloody tragic!" (Shirley Nolan)

Shirley was a lady who hated beurocracy and meddling people in crisp white shirts who didn't understand what she was trying to do.Today I had a taste of just the sort of thing she found herself up against all those years ago.

I called the BBC to ask if i could use the footage i have of Shirley's appearance on the program "The light of experience".All I wanted to do was put a 35 year old interview onto my website for people to see, so that they could get some idea as to what sort of a person she was. Result? After speaking to a lady who had A) never heard of the Anthony Nolan Trust B) Confused the hell out of me, and didn't seem to appreciate the fact that I was doing this for no gain.....NO GAIN.... (she quoted £700 for a 30 second clip!).
I have spent what seems like an age searching the BBC website for advice as to how I would go about "legally" posting their footage.........what a circus that is!.They almost never give you a telephone number to call, and if they do it is never quite the one you want.

So...BBC, can I just reitterate this point...again.....

ALL I WANT TO DO IS POST A 13 MINUTE INTERVIEW WITH A LADY WHO IS NOW DESCEASED ON MY BLOG TO LET PEOPLE SEE WHO SHIRLEY NOLAN WAS.THE FOOTAGE IS 35 YEARS OLD AND I WON'T BE MAKING ANY MONEY OR GAINING ANYTHING FOR MYSELF IN ANY WAY. IT IS TO HELP SAVE LIVES.

I am not a criminal, i have no intention to deny the BBC royalties nor do I have any alterior motive for my request.I simply want to remind the world of just who this lady was, and what she has done for thousands of people by establishing the Anthony Nolan Trust.........that's all :-)


Come on BBC,please.Can you drop all the copyright stuff and let someone who wants to make a difference at least have a chance of doing so ?

If anyone from the Beeb reads this and would like to help, then PLEASE get in touch! :-)
.
.

No comments: