Wednesday 22 December 2010

Why do people blog about their illness?

.




Hundreds of people blog about their illness or trauma every day. In her article from the Guardian Sue Eckstein explains why......

"If anyone had told me a year ago that I'd be a blogger I would have laughed. I am a cautious Facebook user – by turns amused and horrified at the very public way that friends (and friends of friends of friends) conduct their lives. It feels like happening upon a hidden diary and taking the wrong decision to have a quick read.

In April, I was diagnosed with a malignant giant cell tumour in my leg, and amputation was the proposed "cure". A few days before my admission to hospital, I was trying to explain to a friend how well-wishers' remarks about Heather Mills's fancy footwork on the ice rink were actually little consolation. "You should blog about it," she said. I was sceptical, not least because I didn't know what a blog was. My friend – a poet – showed me hers, and I loved the clean lines, the elegant prose, the haunting photographs. It seemed a million miles from the shouty randomness of Facebook and the cryptic soundbites of Twitter"

Hallelujah to that ! :-)

To read the full article click HERE to visit the Guardian Website..


.

No comments: